Labels

Thursday 13 December 2012

Interviews with Bentham Crafters



Bentham Crafters

Meet every Tuesday 10am-12noon

Bentham Town Hall












The Bentham Crafters are a group of keen Makers that have extended out of the Women’s Institute to meet to create in many different ways. The group were immensely warm and welcoming and hugely willing to show me their pieces and talk about their work. It was really a great shame that I was not able to spend more time with the ladies as I often had to rush off to work or was unable to join them. They have so much expertise between them. The group gives them real focus to produce, is a sociable and skill sharing space.



They are involved in Knit for Peace http://knitforpeace.org.uk/about/ knitting patches from ends of balls of wool or re-wound jumpers etc to make up into blankets for elderly people’s homes or other charitable causes. As well as being a sociable and therapeutic this enables the ladies to help those in need. Anne explained to me that  Knit  for Peace are very good at communicating directly with Bentham Crafters which makes them feel close to the sources of their help and more personally involved.

My Grandma had taught me to crochet as a youngster and though I remember enjoying it I did not sustain the practice and over the years I have forgotten how to do it. Ruby very kindly took me ‘under her wing’ and got me going in the basics and also showed me how to crochet a ‘granny square’. In the true spirit of ‘make do and mend’ I began by making a dish cloth and I’m sure it will be the best one I have ever had! I am looking forward to advancing my skills!
Ruby told me of growing up as the youngest of five farmer’s daughters at Crag Hall Farm, of enjoying collecting wood with her mother and of ‘mucking in’ with tasks around the farm.

I very much enjoyed seeing the variety of work the ladies were tackling. Anne told me about her family’s ‘homemade christmas’ were every gift exchanged was homemade and as such was truly memorable and special.

Sue demonstrated making crochet icicles for Christmas tree decorations and also how to use a ‘crochet dolly’, something I loved to do as a girl.

                                                   






No comments:

Post a Comment